Thursday, October 15, 2009

Performance day with an additional amazing experience

I went to watch the soccer last night, and felt pretty tight and sore even before I left.
I experimented with the "use 5% of your mind to give the directions" idea and I must say I think it worked! I feel normally if I started a day or outing (in this case) feeling this tight then more than likely I would have ended up feeling very compacted by the end of the time. But I was actually feeling better. Less tight and sore. I was actually enjoying walking around the stadium a lot more than I normally would.

Well today was "performance day".
Every Thursday is usually a day related to performance, whether this be singing, public speaking or similar.
On many days we also have what is called "quick eze", where students walk around the room and stop near a wandering teacher who will give you a quick turn (usually standing, hands on head and neck). This usually goes for about 10-15 minutes, a great start to the day.
I had a turn with David who is the director of the school.
I felt really sickly today so I let 2 people take my turn before me so I could rest and be ok for my turn.
This did the trick.
David did his thing and we also did hand on back of chair which seemed to give me even more length. I felt heaps better after this lesson.

We then did a group lesson where we experimented with laying on our stomach and lifting our heads while doing a whispered ah. I allowed myself to breath a little before starting (while laying on my stomach) and I felt my upper back release which was just lovely.

There was some additional time in the day for some turns that did not get done in the morning. I asked Michael, a fellow student (I think 3rd year) who has now attended 2-3 of Peter Grunwald's courses (Author of Eyebody) www.eyebody.com , to give me some lessons when he wants to.
I have been reading Peter Grunwald's book which I borrowed from the school library. I do have quite strong glasses and I am sure work on my eyes this will help me overall also.
He very kindly gave me a lesson today.
He seems to have quite a gift. He simply placed his fingers on my head at a couple of different spots and I almost immediately began to feel some effect. My pain/tension pattern felt like it was being lightly massaged. He showed my some pictures of how the eyes work.
It is very relaxing having some table time with Michael. He has a very calming nature about him.

Our performance session was interesting. Bronwyn (teacher) took us in a public speaking experiment. We practices speaking as if talking one-on-one then as if we were in a room of 50 or more people. We then changed our thinking , eg give the directions, allow the voice to flow out of our whole faces not just our mouths etc and this allowed us to see patterns of tension that we were doing.

I had a chat with my teachers from Tasmania tonight, Alex and David Jordan. I was impressed to see that they now have a website www.bodyschool.com.au
They had some advice for me:
It is important to allow some time for inhibition before you direct.
It is also important to accept where you are at the moment, even if you are with pain.
It was suggested that I experiment with when I find myself in pain to try not inhibiting and then next time try inhibiting first.
Also the process of the technique is to allow, not force.

A full day

No comments:

Post a Comment