Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Inhibition and Direction

Today was "book day", every Tuesday is a day where we get into a group to discuss a chapter that we were asked to read.
This week the chapter was Chapter 10 of "The Use of the Self" , "The Stutterer"

Firstly though we had "turns" where we put our name under a teacher and get a 15-20 minute lesson with this teacher.
I chose Will a teacher whom I had worked with a bit over my time at the school so far.
He has a great encouraging style which I find very helpful.
We did some chair work, practicing getting into and out of a chair.
I had noticed that I keep falling a little before I start to stand when coming out of the chair.
The big thing I learnt today was that it is important to keep directing through the whole movement and also when coming down agin, in this case into sitting.
This was something which I am very sure I had been told before but I was reminded again today.
We then did some more work with me on all fours again, I found this to be very helpful again, I feel that I am getting a little more length in my spine each time I do this.
We then did some table work, where Will was able to help me get more length especially in my hips and legs.

We then did a group lesson with Jenny , one of the Directors of the school , with the group made up of the newer members of the school.
I find Jenny to be excellent especially in being able to clarify concepts that seem toughespecially to the new student.
We did some work in pairs with the theme being similar to what today's chapter was all about.
We put hands on each other to see if we could notice in the other persons body a difference between when they lifted their arm when they did not consciously direct and then when they did.
It certainly felt a lot lighter and freer when the person was directing.
We then had a short discussion on how the process needs to be inhibiting and directing.

Later on we had the book group on the chapter I mentioned previously.
We had this with Mat who is a qualified teacher who visits the school to help.
I find him to be excellent, especially for me as he has come from a chronic pain background like me.
We all discussed what we got out of the chapter.
There was also some discussion how if you have a pain issue you need to ensure that you are not using the pain as a short term motivator to inhibit and direct, as this can create a vicious cycle and dependence on using the feeling as a guide too much. (hard to explain this adequately)
I got a lot out of this as I certainly do this a lot.
Another very important point made is that this is a longer and constant process. One needs to persistently work at it and allow for it to have an effect over the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment